Monday, June 7, 2010

CALLING ALL PHOTOGRAPHERS!!! I need your HELP!!

So I am finally venturing into the world of shooting in AV mode....and RAW. I have a strong desire right now to learn learn learn. Ive been experimenting and need some help. I thought that in AV mode, I set the apeture and the camera sets the shutter speed automatically. IS that right? I don't know what I am doing wrong....please help!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
It seems to me that the fast the shutter spped the better...but the camera is suppose to be setting it.......Is my camera broke? WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!

Ps.-Each time I locked in on his right eye for focus as well.

Pps.-I have a Canon Digital Rebel 300D, if that matters......
                                                                  AufWeidersehen!

1 comment:

Ashleigh said...

Hi! I just came a cross your blog through I Heart Faces and decided to look around! I have three kids as well..isn't it fun?! ANywhoo. I saw this post and thought I might try to help. I am just learning myself and have recently ventured out of auto into full manual..it was scary at first, but now I love it! I can't really say much about the settings on your camera, since I have a nikon, but I do know a little about shutter speed. The lower the speed, the longer the lens is open, which means if you have any movement whatsoever in your subjects, you get a blurred shot. You can fix this by using a tripod to reduce camera shake, but when you are taking pics of kids, they do NOT sit still! :) So you would opt for a faster shutter speed. Since you are already manually setting the aperture, it isn't that big of a leap to set the shutter speed yourself as well. The usual "sweet spot" for shutter speed is about 1/60. But that also depends on how much light your in. If you don't want to lower the shutter speed to keep the images sharp,but need to let in more light then try boosting your ISO slightly or opening up your aperture further. Don't be afraid to try manual. You can still work with one setting at a time, but then you can also change whatever you need to without relying on the camera to do it for you. :) Or you can try shooting in your Tv mode to get a feel for shutter speed as the camera adjusts for aperture. Mess around with all your settings, read your manual. Check out Digital Photography School..its a website I use to learn stuff. Its all free and they have tutorials, "lessons" you can read and you can look at others pictures to see what they did! I think you are already on the right track by getting out there and taking pics, that is the best way to learn! I hope I helped you a little...:) You are welcome to stop by my blog anytime and ask me anything! I will try to answer with what little info i have learned. :) Good luck! (sorry this got so long!)